Monday, August 24, 2009

Wrestling Art show opening 8/22/2009

This past Saturday night I went to an art show opening at the Back Alley Gallery in lower town St. Paul, MN.
This was a show put on by a group of artist working on one theme, pro wrestling. David Witt is the artist behind these lucha inspired drawings. I actually knew Witt when he was a young lad buying comic books at the Shinder's I worked at. He gave me one of his first comic books he drew. His art work has come a long way since then.
The man who came up with the theme for this show is Nathan O'Brien. Most of his art in the show was done with the help of a stack of old 'Apter' mags. I met O'Brien at the show and found out that he is a big fan of pro wrestling.
There was an area where you could design your own paper wrestler.
The art of pro wrestling was also on display on two TVs. Below the TV is a piece inspired by "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan and his 2x4.
The show was really fun as they served lot's of snacks (chips, cookies and Slim Jim's! Dig IT!) as well as an assortment of canned beer. I wish I could have stayed all night but I had to get to an MIW show up in Mounds View. The wrestling show will still be on display this Wednesday from 6-10 pm. If you are a fan of wrestling go check it out and tell them that I sent you. Check out the link above for more info.

2 comments:

nathan g said...

Thanks for coming down to the BAG. After periodically following your blog, it was quite a pleasant suprise to meet you in person. And of course talk wrestlinig, which is something I've missed since my own days at Shinder's (Edina, circa early 90's). Take care and see ya at the matches!

Back Alley Gallery said...

Thanks for spreading the word! We appreciate it.